The Church clock was installed by Joyce of Whitchurch in 1887, to mark Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee. The winding of the clock takes place once a week. Three heavy weights need to be elevated to the height of the Tower Clock Chamber, which can take over 200 turns of the winding handle! The Tower Captain, Colin Howarth has been carrying out this duty since 1988.
The time has now come to look at converting the clock movement to automatic winding. The Parochial Church Council have obtained a number of quotes, and have decided to accept the quote from The Cumbria Clock Company (who are currently re-furbishing Big Ben in London!). It is hoped that the work will be completed during February / March 2020.
Any one who would like to make a donation towards this much needed upgrade can contact the Vicar Adam Friend on 01829 740354 or 07984 003665 or via email at email@example.com
- Climbed the tower well over 1650 times!
- Wound the clock for 875 hours!
- Spent 31 years as ‘Official Church Clock Winder’
- Helped everyone in Tarvin know the correct time.
The George Heath Foundation recognises the importance of the church and its place at the heart of Tarvin life and are happy to contribute towards this work.